The best way to plan SMART Objectives
When planning objectives, they need to be SMART. SMART objectives makes it easier to achieve them, therefore increasing the chance you will achieve your goal. But, how do you plan smart objectives?
The secret is using a Personal Development Plan (PDP) table.
Personal Development Plan Table
A Personal Development Plan table breaks down writing an objectives into 5 columns, these are:
- Planned Action/Tasks: What activities you will do?
- Resources: What you need or who you need to support you?
- Goal: What do you want to achieve?
- Success Criteria: How will you know this is complete? How will you measure progress?
- Date Due: When will you complete this or review progress?
Each Column is a SMART element
You can see each column provides a SMART element.
- Planned Action/Tasks: Defining tasks make it Specific.
- Resources: Having the required resources makes it Achievable.
- Goal: Making sure the objective aligns to the goal ensures the objective is Relevant.
- Success Criteria: Defined Success criteria makes it Measurable.
- Date Due: Setting a date makes it Time Bound.
All of these column elements put together forms a SMART objective.
Planning objectives example
So let’s use the table and apply this to an example. The goal is learning to play the guitar.
Tasks could be:
- Practice 3 times per week
- Book lessons
- Read about music sheet structure
To do the tasks, you will need resources:
- Time to practice
- A guitar teacher
- A book explaining music sheets
A good success criteria could be passing the guitar grade 1 exam.
For the date due, you could aim to sit the exam in 3 months.
So putting these elements together your objective would be “Practice 3 times per week for my grade 1 exam in 3 months.”
“Practice 3 times per week for my grade 1 exam in 3 months.”
Let’s check, if this objective is SMART:
- Specific – yes!
- Measurable – yes!
- Achievable – yes!
- Relevant – yes!
- Time Bound – yes!
Now it’s your turn. Have a go at planning your objectives with your Personal Development Plan.
The Goal Achievement programme
This part 4 of our 4 part “Goal Achievement” programme. Checkout parts 1 through 4 here:
- Easy Goal setting to conquer your mountains
- Setting Objectives: The best way to achieve goals
- Smart objectives make you Successful
- The best way to plan SMART objectives
More Mock Interviews Content:
If you want to see more content on business skills and tips for interview success check out our new Youtube Channel: Mock Interviews
We also offer practice mock interviews, check out our packages and book by filling out our booking form.
All the best.